Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Mirabal Sisters.


I'm a few more chapters in and the novel has definetly picked up. One of my favorite aspects of this novel is the profound realism of the characters. The four main characters, the Mirabal Sisters (which consists of Patria, Minerva, Maria Teresa, and Dedé), are so abstract I feel as if I were there, in the story and that I know them. I guess the lengthy tedious descriptions in the first chapter amounted to something. The four sisters take turns narrating the story chapter by chapter, some stories better than others. My favorite character is Minerva, if I were in the Dominican at the time of the Revolution I would have the same thoughts and "rebel" just as she does. Even as a young girl she has no problem speaking out against Trujillo, a rare and admirable quality. In an interview with Julia Alvarez the author, she talks about her inspiration behind the four sisters. What she had to say was very interesting and definately gives them more depth. She says that "Sometimes you have the story and you don't have the voice. A novel is truth according to character, so if there's no voice, there's no story." Julia Alvarez certainly gives voice to her characters on many different levels.

No comments: